Family Friendly Bridge
St Camillus Church, 1175 Concord
Turnpike (Route 2) in Arlington MA.
Here are some simple playing tips to incorporate into your game.
They are polite ways to keep the game moving, making it pleasurable and low stress for us all.
1. Pick the right section for you. If you prefer playing fewer hands with more time to spend on each one, please play in the Leisure section. Points are the same in both sections, and we can always accommodate players in either seciton.
2. Watch the clock. If you are falling behind, do everythign you can to catch up, no matter who is at fault. The biggest time culprit is talking about hands that are over. Don't do it!
3. When defending, think about your opening lead early in the bidding process when you can. If you are and partner are silent during the auction, you can often start thinking then.
4. When on lead, make your opening lead before writing the contract down.
5. When dummy, put the cards down quickly & efficiently before writing the contract down.
6. Claim the hand when you can, explaining how you are going to play the cards.
7. Don't talk about the hands until after the game. It takes up so much time, broadcasts information to others who have yet to play the hand, & keeps you from focusing on the hand you are about to play. If someone at your table won't stop talking about hand, it is fine to politely ask them to save the conversation for after the game.
8. Unless you may want to bid, wait until the end to ask for explanations about alerts.
9. When the round is over, move promptly to the next round. If you are still playing, be sure to send the finished boards to the next table (or ask someone to get you a board if necessary).
Practicing these simple, thoughtful habits will make our games better for everyone!
Snow & Flu Season Reminders
SNOW: Above all, when driving conditions are difficult, please be careful & safe & don’t take any chances. Stay home & practice on your computer (BBO (http://www.bridgebase.com/ ), or cook a soup, read a book, make some music, or do something else fun! You can always play bridge another day.
In case of game cancellation, Bob will send an email out at least 2 hours before game time, and the cancellation will be posted here. If the game isn't cancelled, Bob will be there and we'll either have a game or Bob will give a private bridge lesson.
COLDS & FLU: If you have a cold or the flu, please do not come to bridge. You will be jeopardizing the health of everyone. Flu is very dangerous and even possibly fatal to some individuals. Please be respectful to everyone & play bridge some other day. Thank you.